Friday, January 8, 2010

Last Wednesday of 2009 - Four Richards and a Few Others






Eleven Mercredistes raring to go, hanging round the bus shelter. The 'net had hummed the previous day with doubts of the wisdom of even attempting a ride, because of the extreme cold. I write on the 9th of January, looking out onto the Winter Wonderland that is our garden, slumbering under a fresh fluffy blanket of driest crispest snow 3 1/4" deep, and marvel at our timidity. It was all down to Health (preservation of ours) and Safety (opportunities for falling off).

The Four Richards were Balaam, Farrow, Muchmore and Seggar. The Few Others comprised Barry, Peter Heath, Julian Colman, Paul Callow, (pictured doing his soon-to-be famous Edward Scissorhands impression) Ron Fisher, Glen Grant (Eagle Road Club) and your correspondent SJH. There was ice to be negotiated, but we weren't restricted in choice of roads, as even lanes were largely clear of snow. Last Wednesday didn't happen due to quite a lot of snow and a great deal of ill-health, so the year totters to an end with dwindling mileages, Peter Heath missing his 7,000 mile target (I later discover) by the maddening margin of 49 Miles. I understand that Justin may have broken the 8,000 mile barrier. My total (and I've only kept a record in one year - 2003 when it was 3,345 - since I was 16) is a modest but improving 5,611. You are all encouraged to post your totals in the 'comments' box below. We get very few, and the most recent was in Chinese; using Google translator, it turned out to be an invitation to a sex website. China's a long way to go for that sort of thing. As a film critic once said "if I want sadistic violence and gratuitous sex, I can get it at home".

So off we went Diss-wards, under the guidance of Richard 'Tom-Tom' Seggar, through varied landscapes of woodland and fen. There was, we found, less ice and snow than there was muck'n'mud, so those without 'guards got a thorough splattering. Though Chairman Barry did sport a minimal 'tail' (I've used them myself; very good at keeping the worst off the nether regions but no use for those following) it wasn't enough to prevent a complaint from Tom-Tom (click on the pic for full impact). I really should have taken a photo of Glen - who was far, far worse off. So wet and cold and grey. A Proper Winter club run.

We reached Diss in good time and made a perfect stack of bikes in front of Mere Moments where, as usual, we were warmly welcomed in spite of our ferociously muddy appearance. They were deservedly busy, so we had to split up to enjoy our tea and comestibles. Julian appeared to have been pampered, what with the individual tray of beans on toast as he sat in his armchair. The range of customers was very wide, as you can see from the snap of Peter with Richards B and T-T surrounded by a cross section of Diss polite society. Trips to the loo are not for those of a nervous disposition and look-style cleats involving, as they do, an iron spiral staircase followed by a step up then two further steps down - the last of which could be a surprise if you were in a hurry.

An uneventful trundle home to bring a total of 46 miles. But the day became eventful once back at Thurston. Peter and Glenn take up the story.

Had a phone call from the wife of Glenn Grant, the Eagle RC rider with us today to say he had lost his car keys, (parked at Thurston Railway Station) and could I tell them the name of our tea stop today......Mere Moments. Glenn had been rescued by his brother and taken back to Diss in the car, where Glenn thought the key might have fallen from his pocket when he took out his wallet to pay his bill.
Thing is, today was a special Christmas Lunch being held at Grant's parents in law in Bury in honour of visitors from Australia and Sweden. Glenn was desperate not to be late for it, I tried to placate his wife!! Hope he found the key, rescued his car, and his lunch was not in the dog!
Glenn, please let me know the outcome of your misfortune as I was concerned but felt helpless as I didn't even have the car to drive you around, take you home etc. Were the rest of the family speaking to you?

Peter
Got taken up to Diss to see if I'd left my keys at the cafe. Arrived at Diss and found them in one of my jersey pockets (don't ask). Total idiocy on my part!
Luckily there were no dinner issues - mobile phones used to warn of delays etc. Had a lovely Christmas lunch.
Thanks for the ride today - 46.63 miles, 1257 feet climbed, Avg speed 15.2mph. I'll try and hook up to a local waypoint and see how accurate the Garmin's altimeter is against a known height. Glenn





3 comments:

  1. I managed about 20 miles a week during the summer, but I haven't worked out my annual total yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6342 miles. However, as a metrified Audaxer, I can count it as a much more satisfying 10,206km

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea Lindsay, when touring in France we found it more satisfying seeing the numbers on signposts shrink so quickly.
    I'm trying to find the conversion factor for Country Miles, but I reckon my total would be down to about 4000 cms (that's country miles, not centimetres)

    ReplyDelete