Tuesday, January 26, 2010

20 January 2010; Nearly a record turnout.




We were an impressive thirteen at the bus shelter. We couldn't be IN because of the numbers. It was cold and grey, but evidently not too cold for Gareth's chum Darren to come out without socks or overshoes (only concession to the close-to-zero temperature was [were?] his three quarter longs). His recent cycling background has been in MTB, which may go some way to explain things. The other eleven were TomTom, Peters H and G, Justin, Tiger Tony, Richard Balaam, Sharon, Ron, Ann Fish, Mike Bowen and SJH.

We were Bressingham-bound, and TomTom led us on an unusual route ("I'm lost" he confided to me at one point) that maintained an air of mystery and confusion that kept us on our toes. Don't ask me where we went - I wasn't on my toes and was barely paying attention (in spite of pretending to T-T that I knew what he was up to).

I must apologise for the rather dull photos; as so often with clubruns the easiest time to take a snap is when we are all stationary for a puncture; the one featured was Richard Balaam's. One of my shots has Peter Heath casting a newly trained eye on the tyre and tube, locating the possible site of the damage. In the distance you can just make out the other third of the ride - the last section of Mercrédists had pulled in for a pit stop at a sugar beet-loading area down the road. I think the only larger ride on a Wednesday was for my birthday, when we were fourteen freeloaders (or rather, one Birthday Boy and thirteen chums keen to help him celebrate). Next week (27th January) will be the first after Peter Heath's 63rd, Monday 25th, which was spent in London. Might be worth turning up in strength - except I'm too late with this blog, unless you're sad enough to check your mail before coming out. There was a very long wait at Blooms of Bressingham when we arrived, because there was only one member of staff serving, and she took over five minutes to construct an Espresso for the lady at the head of the queue 16 (she was with a friend, for those who are keeping up with the numbers). Two chaps appeared eventually, but there was still a lack of urgency and organisation; Mike Bowen organises truck drivers with both of those qualities ( that is to say that he organises them with organisation & urgency to deliver with O & U) and he was getting very twitchy at the delay.

Once spread across three tables, we relaxed, browsed, sluiced and chatted in a barely organised way with no sense of urgency at all. We returned via Lopham & Redgrave Fens, and my favourite windmill at Thelnetham (I think - the place, that is. I know what a windmill looks like)

Appallingly, though it's only 6 days since the ride, I can't remember exactly how far we (I) went, but I fancy that it was around 56 miles. SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment