Sunday, January 17, 2010

17 Jan '10 - Sun Shines on Righteous Shock






A few brave birds were singing before dawn today, as the mercury hovered around zero. We are in that phase of the infant year when the afternoons begin to relent, and allow us a little more time before sunset. In case we get too excited at the prospect of spring, renewal and sap rising, the mornings keep us in the dark a little longer. 07.30 seemed like the middle of the night as I pedal up to the Garage for my paper. By the time that Richard Muchmore and I rolled into Cornhill the sun was out and proud the sky was blue and the tree under which we meet looked stunning.
There were ten of us. The other eight being Deane, Julian, I, Richard Stiff, Pauls Callow and Rooke, Ron Fisher and Tricia. Richard S pointed out the wildly amusing scaffolding lorry across the way

Mechanical problems began before we'd turned a wheel, Paul C complained that his chain was jumping after he removed it for cleaning so Adi took it apart again and replaced it the other way round. This was a success. Julian noticed a sinister bulge of inner tube protruding through his tyre like a cycling rupture (as he pointed out). PaulRooke produced a reinforcing strip to insert between tyre and tube. This was also a success. Later on Ron had a puncture at Ashley, which gives you a hint about our route. I had expected us to turn left for a loop before Newmarket, but we went right down the hill.
Nothing for it but to pull us out of this dive and turn left in the general Kirtling direction (R Stiff and I had clocked up only 21 miles, and it would be barely three to Coffee & Co). By meandering, first with me notionally in charge of the route and then with Deane taking over the decisions from his excellent forward viewpoint around 300 yds off the front. I have no quarrel with his choices. We had to reign in Richard M from going to The Clock Tower Café (once the regular stop for bikies, despite its atmosphere which was about 80% cigarette smoke, and cuisine "if they can't fry it you can't have it" - and still a favourite with a hard core of traditionalists).

After reviving beverages, buns and beans we set off up the gallops (Warren Hill?) then Primrose Hill and through to the start of the Higham TT course. Then off towards Cavenham, Lackford and West Stow. Some of us (Tricia and I; she with a bad chest and me with a lack of whatever it is that helps one to keep up) were getting a bit tired by this time. On the road from West Stow to Fornhams, Richard S and I turned left for Livermere etc and Norton, leaving the peleton to hammer off into the distance. Imagine my surprise when, at Thurston Great Green, just above Norton, I met Richard M - pedalling towards me. Well OK, I probably need to stand over you while you look at a map and I explain fully just exactly why this was a conundrum.

Tricia has given her Garminised route. She went left when we went right, at West Stowe. Richard S and I clocked up 58 miles, The weather was absolutely perfect for the entire ride, in fact I had to take off my hat at the top of Primrose Hill. SJH

2 comments:

  1. But it is also written that he who fastens in haste catches membrum virile in zipper of fate

    ReplyDelete