Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Two-Stop Strategy is Adopted but Ignored. Attleburgh proves Adequate.. 20 Sept 2009



After several attempts, Julian at last persuaded us that it would be a jolly idea to go to Attleburgh. So that's where 11 of us [ Justin, Julian, Nathan, Mark, Deane, Paul C, Ron, Barry Woodhouse (whom I last saw maybe six years ago in my earliest Wheeler clubruns - when there was just the one) Jonathon, Ed Bucknell and me] were bound for, under cloud that promised sunshine for later on.

The journey out was orderly and almost sedately paced. The only break in discipline concerned pee-stops. We still need to convince some riders that it is delusional to attempt to ride off the front and gain a large enough gap to stop; pee; adjust their clothing and remount before the rest of the ride catches up. This is a futile exercise, with everyone riding past laughing whilst you pee - or one (or several) riders think it's an attack and chase you down. The other unexpected consequence is that those who didn't get asked if they wanted a pee now realise the do want a pee and stop randomly along a half mile stretch of road. An organised stop is the way to do it. Right back to childhood car journeys "go before we set off, because we won't be stopping later"

Arriving at Attleburgh, in the aforementioned sunshine, we did a few laps of the centre, noting 'The Norfolk Kitchen' each time (with its welcoming tables and chairs set out in the sunshine) until Julian relented and allowed us to stop there. Fast and efficient provision of mainly baguette-based nutrition which, in some cases needed a little fine tuning - plus portions of beanzontoast the size of a small pond (the fly enjoyed my Cappuccino)

This was an opportunity for me to attempt changing gear on my new best friend, Pearson.
As luck would have it, my mechanic was on the ride so I was able to delegate this delicate operation. Nathan built the bike, so could be relied on to effect the change.
I watched, in case I ever needed to do it on my own. After the break, more work for Nathan as his Dad, Julian discovered a puncture at the bottom of his rear wheel.

There was a brief discussion of the pit stop strategy for the return and, after making absolutely sure that everyone had 'been' before we set off, a two-stop strategy was considered a reasonable solution. In fact, we didn't need to stop at all. Maybe the certainty of a schedule calmed the collective bladders. More research needed.

Julian guided us back by a charmingly scenic route, and my 72.5" gear was a great relief after the 65.6" of the outward journey (to the extent that Mark kept asking me to slow down - always nice to hear). The pace gradually increased towards the end, especially between Stanton and Stowlangtoft, with Ed "what's a small ring?" Bucknell on the front. I even heard Justin remark on the following Wednesday that he'd never been up the rise to the water tower so fast (20mph all the way up and a bit more at the end but I didn't notice how much because my eyes were crossed). 66 miles for me, didn't record an average speed (no Garmins this week - Tricia providing bicycle-support for runners in the Round Norfolk Relay. In the dark. On the A143.)


No comments:

Post a Comment