Saturday, September 19, 2009

Birthday Boy Abandons . . . . . But Pays First




















Happy Times . . . . . . . . . as King Lear celebrates ("smile like this" says Tony)


It was one of life's more expensive coincidences that my birthday and Wednesday fell on the 16th of September. A more expensive one for many was Black Wednesday, 16th Sept 1992 when something went awfully wrong something complicated and financial in the City (of London). At least my losses would be restricted to a few teas.
Well, a dozen, including mine. The original plan had been to ride to Hollow Trees at Semer, but the wind was quite brisk, and from the North, so Diss was it (in that dawn to be alive,
But to be young was very heaven!)

This account is going to be dominated by references to me, my birthday and my birthday present to myself. Susan tells me that no one will be interested in this - especially because I'm writing it on Sunday the 20th, by which time all normal people would have forgotten all about their most recent birthday. The present (and I think I must have bored the world about this already) is a Pearson 'Cartouche' Carbon-framed fixed wheel bicycle. I rode it for the first time on this day. Despite my irascible expression, I'm actually very pleased with it. Kevin Flanagan has asked if I'm going to do a review - I might, so I'll say no more at this point.
Richard 'TomTom' guided us on an Eastward loop as a change from Sunday, and last Wednesday. We visited Finningham, Cotton and a few other places that I can't really remember because I was concentrating on my new bicycle. Justin was with us, fresh from Provence. He kept distracting our attention from me and my bicycle with endless accounts of how marvellous it all was in France. It never ceases to amaze me how self-centred people can be, I mean, we've all been abroad these days. It's probably just as well that Neil couldn't make it, or we would have had to endure endless tales about China, or India, or Sri Lanka, or even Ethiopia and Pangbourne.

We achieved Diss with perfect timing, and burst into Amandines to request a dozen teas. Peter Heath, spotting a long table in the semi-open area at the rear of the restaurant with elaborate decorations down the middle said "I see you've prepared the table already". Despite this frivolous remark, we were seated and served with swift efficiency.

No more than ten minutes later Susan arrived to whisk me away. I paid up, made my excuses and left. The lunch that followed was truly wonderful - and another story.

The Cast for this Production were: Mike Cross, Sharon Calton, Peter Gay, Ann Fish, Justin Wallace (did I mention Mt Ventoux?), Peter Heath, Gareth Doman, Tony Panting, Jeff Agricole, Ron Fisher, Richard 'TomTom' Seggar, SJH (did I mention my Birthday?)


No comments:

Post a Comment