Sunday, January 8, 2012

January 8, 2012.Shock! An orderly ride, no one dropped.



As I arrived at the HQ, thinking myself early and planning what to do while I wait, I am met by a bunch of at least eight Wheelers - and this at 08.55.

The dividing ourselves into two groups took a bit of time, as is to be expected. The 'A' group was led out first, by Paul Callow, and looked to be about ten riders. The 'B' group (all who were left) amounted to twelve, and were led by me and by Mark Harris. The weather was cold but not freezing, with a steel grey sky and a 16mph WNW wind. We never felt comfortably warm, but neither were we seriously cold. I began to feel that my trackmitts decision could be the wrong call. Mark's initial proposal was to go out to La Hogue a flat way and come back via Newmarket and a bit of climbing. I wasn't entirely convinced of the strategy but, since Mark had entrusted the details of the route to me I didn't argue, I just took us the way that I thought more sensible. I know Mark reads these blogs, so that might be a strategy that I won't get away with again!

Through Bury, out towards Nowton and first right up the lane through High Green, left as we meet Horsecroft Rd, then right at Pinford End and up to (eventually) Whepstead, left down the hill, left again and first right to cross the A143 at the start of the Horringer '10'. We paused before crossing to regroup, then proceeded through Hargrave to Ousden, where we went right, then right again through Denham and then the tiny left turn that goes across some superbly wild and open country past lanes to Denham Castle and Desning Hall. I've been past the latter, on an almost off-road ride with Neil - one rides quite close to the west front of this large Georgian house, but I have yet to find out how close you can get to the Castle. Best attempted without eleven other cyclists in tow.

All this ingenuity brought us down into Kentford, across through Herringswell and to La Hogue, buzzing with activity as usual. I think I'm correct in saying that there was only one puncture, Shaun being the unlucky rider. As we 'click-clacked' into the Café area I spotted two contented Wheelers at a small table tucking into large, tempting bacon and egg baps. Chris Curtin and Dick Lines had left not long after us but (presumably not having any punctures) beat us to the tea stop. Turning round, I realise that I am now, as so often, at the back of a queue of cyclists. We were confronted with the usual splendid array of comestibles; I mentioned to whoever was in front of me in the queue that we'd counted 13 different cakes on the last occasion that the Wednesday Ride came here - it seemed easily possible this Sunday. Julian and Esther went for the fuel-efficient beans on toast. As you can see, this was a substantial offering - presented in a way that I'd not come across before. Double Decker, but with the filling on top.

The route back was the shortest of the choices, some of our number were beginning to flag, so extra loops seemed to be a bad idea. Just before the Scrambling and GoKarting track Lara's rear tyre went down. Julian thought it best if he and Esther carry on, because she was feeling cold and tired. Before the tube was changed Julian and Esther went flying by in the opposite direction "I left my bottle behind" shouted Esther, tucked in behind her speeding Dad as they disappeared into the grey distance back to La Hogue. She looked in pretty good form to me - maybe the beans had kicked in.

We left the Colmans to return on their own - so making my headline (maybe) innaccurate. But I will maintain that they weren't dropped. Not technically. So Mark and I felt reasonably self-satisfied with the morning's work. Orderly Ride, no one dropped.

Job Done.

SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment