Tuesday, January 31, 2012

18 January 2012: Four go Forth.



No one would call it a nice morning – but on the other hand it could without much effort have been a whole lot worse. At 8.00 in Norton it was raining, in a drizzly sort of way. By 08.50 as I neared the New Green centre it was merely spitting. The were four of us, and Dawn. She was receiving counselling from Mark Saunders, because she had had a bump in her ex-husband's vehicle. Mark's suggestion was to go and have a coffee and calm herself, while we four did the ride.

Thus it was that Mark, Dr Guy, young Matthew Parry (the apprentice racing motorist) and your correspondent set off, into the gloom. I had a plan, a route, in my head. "Dagworth" I thought. The link takes you to the delightful website of the Dagworth & Ditsrict Gentlemen's Cycling Club. I haven't been to Dagworth for ages, and Mark did say "let's avoid the little muddy lanes, they'll be in a real state today" which I regarded as a challenge. So it was through Haughley without turning left to the station, and then the left to that strange settlement, with its ford (and little footbridge, which is essential) and its large, tumbledown 18thC house to the right and deep potholes to the left, right and centre. Round the sharp bend as we go between the buildings of the farm where we have often seen interesting cars. We all cope well with the challenging route (I mention that the first to put a foot down pays for tea) and move on to Old Newton where we take the left after the church and past the school. Along the narrow lanes, up and down and round and up and down to emerge at the A1120 just east of Stowupland. Single out to Stonham and left to something-or-other Green on tiny, favourite lanes ending with a plunge down a narrow descent with very high banks topped with trees who's branches meet overhead and which has a grass strip down the middle. I realise that I have been at the front for a while, now, and that no one's talking at the back. I have no illusions these days about being able to destroy a ride into a headwind, I guess they were all just enjoying the view. Through Needham Market and right up towards Barking. My original plan, to continue down to Baylham before swinging westwards, was abandoned reluctantly because the ride out had proved to be tougher than expected. Right to Battisford via Hascot Hill and through Wattisham village to Bildeston and Chelsworth etc etc - why am I writing all this useless drivel? At Semer, we felt more tired than expected and were grateful for the warmth and sustenance. The return was largely favoured with a tailwind (as planned, I'll have you know) which was probably of more benefit to my freewheeling companions than to me. At Felsham, having already slipped off the back a couple of times, I bade them farewell and headed home the shortest way possible. Total of around 55 miles - how can it have felt so hard?

No comments:

Post a Comment