Saturday, February 19, 2011

PEARSON, The Tale of a Rush of Blood to the Head

As soon as I saw the picture in 'The Comic' I was hooked. Pearson 'Cartouche', elder brother of the 'Touché', but fashioned from hand-picked dew-fresh carbon fibre, with stainless steel drop-outs. Complete bike around £1,500 and no gears. For several months this vision of perfection stayed at the back of my mind as an impractical dream. How could I justify the stupefying expense to myself, let alone the family?

I already had a trusty steel winter fixed, frame bought for just £15 from John Pavey of Hardwick, just west of Cambridge where we lived at the time (1997). No name, no transfers, freshly sprayed in dark blue, a road frame that was to be a stand-in for my (lugless) Mercian which was in Derby for a repair (another story, for another time). It was a while before I did the fixed conversion, and I didn't ride it in company until we moved to Suffolk in 2001. I became increasingly fond of 'Pavey' which, though 3/4 of an inch bigger than the Mercian, and with a much longer top tube and more relaxed angles became supremely comfortable. But there was a hankering for something a bit less agricultural. Pearson's seemed to have the value with the Touché - but it came in a rather unpleasant matt Blue. Other candidates from other firms had one or more quirks in the geometry that ruled them out, generally giving them too much of a courier look.

Thinking aloud about this fixed-replacement project at the dinner table brought the retort from Susan "why don't you get the carbon one, whatever it's called". But it's nearly £1,500 I remind her "SO?" she replies " you've got the money at the moment, if you really want it - just get on with and buy one". So I did, but I had a 'bright idea' that I imagined would give me top spec for a bit less money by buying the frame, and getting Nathan Colman to do the build. Now you can see what's coming, can't you?. Yup, nearly two grand, was what we ended up with. Nice build, though.

Now Nathan is a whizz of a bike mechanic, and obsessive about equipment. He was unhappy with some aspects of the truly beautiful frame. However, like a teenager in love I turned a deaf ear (in my case quite easy - just remove the hearing aid) to this obviously unfounded criticism of my only beloved .

On a bright and warm September Sunday, Pearson and I joined the Espresso Ride, with 51 x 21 engaged for around 66" gear. The smoothness of the transmission and the suppleness of the carbon ride were a seductive joy. For the tail wind home, Nathan turned the wheel round for me to give a meatier 51 x 19 (72.5"). Pure joy. On every ride for the rest of the winter Pearson and I were inseparable - apart from that ice incident in February, when he was unmarked but I had some bodywork damage. By late April the Espressi were getting frisky, and Pearson was reserved for lighter duties. Then, at the end of May, on Adi's Family Fun Ride, there came a grinding noise when putting down the power. I upset poor Nathan by suggesting that the chain was out of line. He investigated, and diagnosed a failure of the drive-side drop-out/chainstay interface. The chunky stainless steel was easing itself away from the carbon stay so, on each hard pedal stroke it moved which, in turn, caused the wheel to move and the chain to become out of line.

After some thought I was forced to agree with Nathan. Pearson must go back to be repaired or replaced. Actually, that wasn't quite what Nathan wanted me to do. He wanted me to demand my money back, and start again with something different - Condor, Bob Jackson and Mercian were mentioned, the vogue for hand built steel was just taking hold, stainless steel was suggested - maybe (even) unobtainium.

At the beginning of July, the frame goes back. Pearson's were cooperative, they didn't quibble, acknowledged that there was a problem and sent 'Pearson' back to Italy where, allegedly, he had been lovingly constructed by dedicated Italian craftsmen. There was a long pause. A month went by, and I emailed. "Ah, um, er, yes didn't quite catch them before they closed for annual holidays". Another month. I email them. "The Italians are being a bit difficult about this. They say there's no fault with the frame. We're awfully cross with them, and even mentioned solicitors and everything".

Autumn. No news. I email, pointing out that, whilst appreciating their difficulties with the Italians, I was without a fixed bike for the winter, and I was £1250 out of pocket. "We could lend you a bike. A Touché. Have a look on the website and see what you think." I agree, we will use the forks from the Cartouche which Nathan had shrewdly retained and they would send the alloy frame (now available in a pleasing metallic black). By October, I'm fixed up with a fixie; slightly harsh ride from very rigid alloy frame, but fun nonetheless.

November. I email and point out that, fun though it is, the bike that I'm riding is £900 cheaper than the one I paid for over a year ago. I further point out that I feel like a man who buys a Porsche and ends up driving a Polo. They say that they appreciate my patience, that they are doing all that they can, that the situation is still very tricky and the Italians are being most awfully difficult. They'll be in touch.

December, and it seems that they've sacked the Italians and are seeking a new supplier of carbon frames -which I imagine will be lovingly constructed by dedicated Taiwanese craftsmen.
Just before Christmas, I get an unprompted email from Pearson's. "Just to save me trawling through all our records" it read "could you remind of the size of frame you had?". I realise that there were one or two issues that I could've raised at this point, mainly regarding the breathtaking ineptitude of the wording. But I just sent them the size.

January. I email. "We've found a new supplier, and we've got a prototype, and it's in your size. There is a slight snag, in that they've got the brake bridge in the wrong position for a rear brake (but that wouldn't matter if you're riding fixed) [insert exclamation mark here]. Alternatively we expect to get production under way in a week or two, so you could have a Cartouche II by early July" In case you've fallen asleep by this point, I'll just remind you that this would mean one full year after sending 'Pearson' back. I telephone. I can't expect them to realise quite what an escalation of my mood this simple fact implies. I hate telephoning, and will go to enormous lengths to avoid doing so. I speak to their 'Retail Manager'. "I think we've got to the point where I need to have my money back" - "Well yes, I do understand" said the RM. I push it a bit further "The Touché frame doesn't represent much money to you, but would be a most welcome gesture of goodwill to me" It almost seems like I have a deal - but of course I'm not talking to the Man. I will be contacted by Will Pearson in a day or two. He does contact me. He has ideas, and offers, and strategies to avoid actually parting with cash. I tell him that I quite understand that he doesn't want to give me straight cash back - but I feel that he has to. He tries to sell me the turkey with no back break. He says that it's a really nice ride, and everyone has been riding it like billy-oh all winter and . . . . [oops, did he listen to himself there?]. Next it's "The Italians have come round, and will mend the frame FOC, and wouldn't take too terribly long" I say no, I need the money back. " If you didn't mind waiting a little while, you could have a CartoucheII and keep the Touché. I don't need two fixed bikes. I need the money back. Finally, I agree to a nominal few quid for the Touché and the balance refunded. Phew! People ask me what I'm going to get now. Well, it's NOT going to be a top spec bike. I'll stick at the level I'm comfortable with. I don't need a new frame - I might buy a pair of wheels, the odd bit of kit, but definitely no rush of blood to the head. Probably.
So what conclusions to draw? The chaps at Pearson had their hearts in the right place, and my best interests (kind of) at those hearts, but the execution was lacking in any sense of urgency. An uncharitable interpretation of this would be that they rather hoped that I'd get bored and go away if they didn't prod me with information, and that I only got a decent deal when finally they felt that they were cornered. Such a shame. More pro activity could have saved them returning most of my cash. I think I'm probably far too easy going (and idle), so I can't blame them for having similar faults. I should I?
SJH

1 comment: