Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sunday the Last of February. Three Men and a Soaking.


Wet. But Hey! It's not freezing, there's no ice or snow to dodge, I have mudguards and waterproof (ish) clothes.
"John had
great big waterproof boots on,
John had
a great big waterproof hat,

John had
a great big waterproof Macintosh,
And that, (said John), is that! ...
"
(AA Milne)

We were just Mike Bowen, Peter Stephenson-Wall and I. The rain wasn't super heavy, but it was persistent, and being blown from the North Norwest. Mike said he'd thought of going to Long Melford. So we went Saxham - Cavenham - Mildenhall and back. 48 miles for me, in about 3h 12m. Only after I had returned Mike's bottle (that he had been kind enough to lend me because a senior moment had resulted in leaving mine in the kitchen) and phoned home to say I'd be about 20 minutes, did I start to feel at all cold. It was my hands and, by the time I reached home I thought that I would need help prizing them off the handlebars. I was VERY worried about puncturing during that last few miles. Peter was quite reluctant to head back to Bury, having really got into the groove. With only six months experience of cycling, and no other sporting past, I worry that we'll all be in trouble when he gets the hang of it!

As Mike and I paused for the photo shoot (well, I paused, and sent Mike off up the road to do the ride-past) I must say that the little house in the photo below with the smoke curling from its chimney looked very inviting.

Bath was fantastic; toast and marmite on the rack, a steaming cup of black coffee and the Sunday Paper. AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhhh.


SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment