Thursday, February 11, 2010

10th Feb 2010. Tony & Tom-Tom Battle against the Elements

Stephen
You may or may not receive other 'resumés' about today's ride.
Here is mine
On waking late at 8 o'clock I looked out of the window to perceive a crusty white splodge outside. Bearing in mind Stephen's recent spell of kissing the tarmac I decided, in a rush of blood, to go out on my off-road bike with 'Landrover' tyres recently acquired from my cycling buddy cousin. I arrived at the bus stop where Justin, Peter H, Ed, Richard and Ron had decided to go to Hollow Trees, the long way, on 'better' roads to include Glemsford. Slowly but surely I found myself playing catchup and finding it very hard to stay with those very fit guys on their road bikes. By the time we reached the Glemsford turnoff in Horringer Road I was already knackered. Fortunately, a pee stop gave me the opportunity to declare that I would make my own way to Semer (or maybe go home) as I didn't want to become a burden. At this point Richard gallantly declared he would stay with me and take me on a short cut across to Lavenham and Semer. What he didn't say was that it meant going UP Hartest Hill !
When arriving at Bridge Street we came across really bad ice over the top to Lavenham and had to take it very easy. Richard discovered he had a 'slow' in the rear tyre and began stopping to pump until we arrived at Hollow Trees.
Here we found that the other four had not only arrived before us but had also snaffled the last fruit scones!
However, the gorgeous Chloe gave me lots of attention (unfortunately not the sort I would have preferred!) while Richard changed his inner tube.
I decided to go home the direct route through Preston St. Mary while the fearsome four went the Bildeston Route. Richard, dear soul, decided to stay with me as, in my haste to get to the bus stop, I had forgotten to bring either a pump or a drinks bottle.
Riding towards Kettlebaston and on a particularly bad stretch of shaded ice we were suddenly confronted by a large tractor steaming towards us with wheels slipping. While I got over on the inside, Richard came across to and came a cropper on the central strip of ice! He was up quickly and reported nothing broken - body or bike, only pride. The tractor surged onward spitting mud and ice all over the place and we continued on towards Thurston without further mishap, arriving at Beyton just as the seriously black skies started to emit more white stuff with an accompanying fierce cold north easterly. On reaching Thurston I could barely mutter a thank you and goodbye to Richard through frozen face and lips.

After a shower and a banana I was ready for a session on the turbo. (only kidding)

"Tiger" Tony Panting



Thanks again Richard

Il Presidente

No comments:

Post a Comment