Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wednesday 7 December 2011. High wind in Suffolk. Peter decides on Cafe of the Year.

A reduced number assembled for the opening of our sealed orders for the day. There would be no need to split up and we would be huddled pretty close for all of the way to our tea stop, which was revealed to be at La Hogue.
We followed our recently popular climbing route which takes us via Welnethams Gt & Lt, Whepstead and eventually Ousden and (depending on how intrepid we feel) round to the south and west of Newmarket or, as in this case through to Moulton and Kentford. Though the headwind was pretty tough, when it was a sidewind it was definitely more challenging - some of our lighter riders were experiencing directional problems as we passed gateways and hedge gaps. Definitely a tea-break wheel-turner this, as we would get a substantial tailwind home. We met the Cambridge Wednesday contingent at La Hogue, and I chatted to my old friend André Marsh. Only later did it really dawn on me that one group was going to face a massive headwind home. And it wasn't going to be us.
Rolling along comfortably on 72.5" gear (this link will allow you to make your own calculations. My combination was 51x19) was great, all the way to Cavenham, when we turn left. On the shallow descent to Lackford the wind was precisely behind us, and I wound up the revs to around 135rpm and overtook an unsuspecting Ron Fisher at 29mph. He woke up and was soon on my wheel of course - and I can't maintain those revs for very long. When I contemplate the achievements of Tony Doyle and the late Zak Carr I am completely humbled since since Zak averaged over 130rpm for 53 minutes. At the moment I can just about manage the 3minutes on the end. That link is truly fascinating, do follow it.

SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment