Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sunday 9 October. I wandered lonely as a cloud . .


. . . . . . that floats on high o'er vales and hills . Well I was alone, but not lonely. I had my bike for company as I floated o'er the Suffolk lanes - having been abandoned by the chums who were due to make up a ride this Sunday morning. There had been a spot of rain first thing, nothing much, but the forecast was vaguely optimistic so (after a couple of phonecalls from my fairweather friends) I waited a bare quarter of an hour before setting off, and was rewarded with an incredibly pleasant promenade á velo.

My plan included retracing more thoroughly the route from Wednesday ( just that part where I lost my sensor - sensor humour? sensor proportion?) and it was this portion of the ride that was the most special. I was riding at walking pace, often on the wrong side of the road. There was virtually no traffic. There was birdsong - there was some pale sunshine, the wind was warm and the air filled with the nostalgic smells of Autumn - damp leaves, freshly ploughed fields, damp tarmac.

I took the unsigned right in Thorpe Morieux, which goes through Thorpe Green and past a collection of pairs of animals. Two donkeys, a Ram and Ewe, a pair of Highland cattle - no sign, I was relieved to note, of any boat building activity. Back onto the Felsham-Cockfield road, pausing to go up to Cockfield Church (substantial and attractive with quite a lot of flint) and its accompanying pair of ancient Suffolk houses. Up the lane to Buttons' Green (not 'End' as I had it in the blog) and to the site of the crash. Which is past the point that I had thought. After the T junction (where right) and down past the farm on the right. I found The Stone, and photographed it (see top of page). Through Lavenham, resisting the temptations of the Guildhall Tea Room, and out towards Bridge Street. I was going to pop in to see how they were doing, and mumble reasons why we haven't been for so long. As I crossed the A134 I saw that there was a great drift of bikes against their wall, and I could see that they were pretty much packed. As I was running a bit late by now (due to extremely slow riding and a lot of stopping) I carried on, and home via Shimpling.

SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment