Sunday, March 7, 2010

7 March 2010. Sub-Zero Heroes dodge the Ice


As you just might be able to make out from the photo [read the right hand scale] it was very, very cold at 0700 outside the kitchen door of Orchard House. We do have a micro climate here, and I did ask the met office for ideas as to why we got numbers several degrees lower than other places nearby. They responded very swiftly and efficiently (was it unfair to imagine them waiting for weeks for a question?) and told me that it was probably because we have the instrument facing north.

Having taken the picture (picture, if you will, SJH in nightshirt squinting at camera, knees bent to get best angle) I made what I now realise was a major tactical error; I showed it to Susan. We have that sort of relationship, you see, sharing life's experiences, openness (or so I am led to believe). "You canNOT go out in this, that is stupidly cold, you would have to be totally MAD!!!"

"I'll wait a bit, and go out later - but the roads will be dry, there's been no rain"

"phone Justin, see what he's doing"

Time rolls by. 0745 phone Justin and ask him if he could ring me when destination decided, and I'd meet them later. I pass this on.

"So they're all going out anyway?"

"Yes"

"Well if you get on with it, you could leave by 0830 and meet them at the normal time"

Allow myself the luxury of not telling Justin about the change of plan - covered in case of puncture

0902. Cornhill. Rode in with fellow Norton resident Richard Stiff. Join large jolly group of assorted size cyclists: Justin, Peter H, Deane, Neil, Jonathan Howe, Adi, Alan Trolove, Richard Stiff, Paul Callow, SJH, Peter S-W, Ron F.
This Cyclists' Dozen set off on the first stage of the Suffolk Punch from Nowton but then diverged to end up in Long Melford, then took Bull Lane out eastwards to end up at Semer, and Hollowtrees Farm Shop. Shortly after leaving Bury, it became obvious that though there had, indeed, been no rain, the land drainage in the bit of Suffolk we chose to cross had meant dribbles of water on many corners had become solid shiny ice. Why did we come across theses hazards at the same time as being overtaken by cars? The frequency of the calls for both ice and potholes led Jonathan to observe that it might be more efficient to call out when the road was clear.

An interesting paradox: though the temperature was 4 degrees lower than any we've observed this (hard) winter, my hands felt no more painful - in fact far better than last week. This reminds me of a survey a couple of years ago which found that, when asked which temperature was colder, minus nine or minus two, the majority plumped for minus 2. It seems that the problem was that when measuring hotness plus 20c is hotter than plus 2c - so the bigger number will always be hotter (whichever side of zero you are)

Arrived at Hollowtrees without event (as far as I can remember) and rather stretched the Sunday 'B' team behind the counter (apart from the lady in charge). Richard Stiff made a brave effort to cheer up Neil, Deane and Peter (see left). Ron Fisher held Justin and Jonathan spellbound with tales of Australia (below right) and Adi explained to Peter S-W and Alan just what they really ought to be doing in a club run (below right). No sooner had we finished, and risen from our tables than the Cappuccino Ride arrived - in strength, there were 18 of them. Thirty Wheelers awheel at the same time; brilliant. Less brilliant was the record of punctures and crashes (including Sharon's first tumble) they experienced, but they all looked OK superficially

The 12 of us set off south, then swung down to the Sudbury - Bildeston road, and pedalled, through the sunshine, for home, using the more important roads to avoid any more ice hazards. Some way before Bildeston I began to lose power and the excellent Mr Dykes gave me the occasional push to get me back on. Well, at began as occasional, only being needed on the steep climbs, but graduated to the slight inclines and, finally, on the the flat. The problem was that my legs didn't want to do the revs necessary to achieve 23 mph even if I was being pushed.
Neil was rewarded with lunch chez nous. Justin later told me than Neil had a touch of 'tennis elbow' the following week - I remain sceptical, but I know that I was knackered on Monday. 53 miles for me, and just under 17mph. SJH

No comments:

Post a Comment